[CLUE-Talk] Sun to charge for StarOffice

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Feb 26 18:44:07 MST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 01:37 pm, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> Dissapointing news.  Maybe it will benefit Koffice and the rest.
>
> <http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8909166-0.html
>?tag=ats>

Unfortunately, this 'report' is a rumor from a 'source familiar with the
plan'.  However, given the popularity of SO, I am not surprized by the
speculation.  Also, gotta love the fact that the author if the article quotes
a Slashdot thread.  Journalism?  Anyone?

It would be a shame if they started charging for it.  Whether I would buy a
license would depend on the cost of the license and whether KOffice is ready
for prime time (I haven't tried it for about a year).

I have used 5.2 and 6.0 for three years to support all of my consulting
paperwork -- like invoices, letters, etc.  I really like it and 6.0 beta has
proven to be reliable, especially with document exchange with MS Office.

Has anyone really used KOffice on a day-to-day basis?  I would appreciate any
comments.

Thanks
Jeff