[CLUE-Talk] Fourth Amendment? Anyone? <-- U.S. down theTubes !

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Jan 4 20:05:47 MST 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Just to let you know, I'm conservative as well and I subscribe to CLUE
> Talk because CLUE people, no matter what their leanings, are still my
> friends.

[...]

> OTOH, if you don't speak up, all we'll hear are "their" side of the
> story.

I don't think that Jeff's original post was OT (heck, the guidelines permit about
anything, but even so...)  I can't say that most of the replies had much value to me,
though.  I avoid the news because I don't care for political commentary or the
man-on-the-street's opinion.  (It's already been pointed out that I live in a cave,
so no need to criticize me on that ;-)

I'm not trying to insult those who replied.  What I value in social/political/legal
discussions are informed opinions that teach me what the law says (including case and
common law), what the history and traditions are that shape the
social/political/legal environment, and how either the environment is dated and needs
reshaping or how the particular subject violates well founded principles.  Could I
call that intellectual rigor?

Take this 4th amendment ruling.  How are wiretaps and search warrants different?  If
the FBI wants to put a hidden camera in your house, which do they need?  Does anyone
know how you might accomplish what the FBI's secret box does?  That's what I find
interesting.

Again, I'm not criticizing anyone who's posted on this thread.  Just wishing for more
facts.

Dave