[CLUE-Talk] New here

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Jan 8 15:26:26 MST 2002

Jeffery Cann wrote:

>Will,
>
>I have used Linux for about 7 years.  I have tried a number of Linux
>distributions and recommend the following:
>
>Mandrake Linux (http://www.mandrake.com/)
>Red Hat Linux (http://www.redhat.com/)

I have had good luck with installing Red Hat, Suse, and Caldera.
 Currently, I use Suse for 3 reasons.
1)  I like their installer, and it finds my hardware pretty well.
2)  Their distro tends to have everything I want (as well as a lot I
don't care about)
3)  Their online update for patches works very nicely.

Some of the other distributions allow more in depth looking at things
during the install, but for a first time, I would reccomend an easy to
install one over the extra control.

Also, make sure you either know about disk partitioning, or have a
helper who does.  It is very easy to delete something important while
partitioning the drive.  It does not take very long to make a really big
mess with fdisk.