[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft now "owns" OpenGL

Matt Gushee mgushee at hypermall.net
Thu Jan 17 20:54:45 MST 2002

qqq1one @yahoo.com writes:

Well, this is disappointing. I have a question, though. Can somebody
explain to me why OpenGL should matter to people who aren't gamers or
multimedia geeks? I'm not trying to be negative or dismiss the
importance of the topic, I just really don't understand. Personally, I
have never cared in the slightest about 3D graphics ... and that was
fine for a long time. But now I'm finding that a lot of X-related
packages, even those that have no apparent need for 3D, have become
dependent on OpenGL. As someone who has a strong minimalist streak, I
find it a little offensive as a matter of principle -- though these
days the disk space for the packages is no longer an issue.

So what's the point of building OpenGL into everything?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA