[CLUE-Talk] AOL in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 12:33:22 MST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, John Kennedy wrote:

> What do you think about
>
> AOL being in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

It's about time that AOL figured out they're going to
have to go after Microsoft on their own turf, rather
than waiting for M$ to buy up the customers from every
other ISP (like Qwest...bastards.)

More than likely this will have both good and bad
consequences, but if successful AOL might succeed in
dropping Microsoft from owning >95% of the desktop
market, which is a Very Good Thing.

If done right, it could be very good for Linux users.
AOL and Sun (remember their partnership?) both have
strongly vested interests in supporting Linux to
knock Microsoft down a few notches.

AOL hasn't been hostile towards Free and Open Source
software -- look at the AOLserver.

Granted, I don't have a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings
towards AOL, but it might be the best answer to
breaking the M$ monopoly.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart