[CLUE-Talk] AOL in Negotiations to buy Redhat Linux ?????

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sat Jan 19 15:13:25 MST 2002

On 01-19 13:02, Chris K. Chew wrote:
> I agree that it may not be a bad thing.  There is a sizeable camp in the
> linux community that wants a distro that lets non-computer-savy people
> use linux (for better and for worse) as easily as they can windows.  I can't
> think of anyone who is better at dumbing something down than AOL.

Yeah, maybe they'll insert code to play "You've got core!!!" when a program
barfs. :)

As someone else said here, and has been oft-repeated elsewhere, Linux !=
RedHat. Here in the U.S., it almost seems that it is, but there are a
plethora of good distros out there that meet a variety of needs, so even if
this were to happen, I wouldn't fear it. Mandrake wouldn't go away, would
it? There might be more diversity of distro use as a result, and that could
only be a Good Thing...maybe more folks would start using some of the BSDs
or Hurd (is that usuable yet?), too.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome