[CLUE-Talk] OpenSouce Friendly ISP [WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP]

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Mon Jan 28 09:13:49 MST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:41:59PM -0700, Dave Hahn wrote:
> <SOAPBOX/RANT>
> Being an ISP and not being one of the large telecom providers puts you in an
> interesting spot.
> 8<...
> </SOAPBOX/RANT>

All excellent points.  A recent problems we "OpenSouce Friendly" ISPs face
now is the exclusive DSL deal QWest has signed with MSN.  Without getting
into the finer points of it, if you currently use QWest.net as your ISP,
you will (or have already been) be switched to MSN, unless you proactively
tell QWest to switch you to a different ISP.  Once the switch has been made
to MSN, you're stuck.  If you want to change ISPs, you actually need to
cancel your service, and then re-order it.  You get to pay the installation
fee all over again, and of course wait the ~15 day lead time for installation.

At least a few of our customers ranted at QWest after they were switched, and
eventually they capitulated and let them switch from MSN to us.  But I don't
expect QWest's "generosity" to last forever, essentially sticking a large
portion of the Denver metro DSL user-base with MSN forever.  That dries up
a huge source of potential customers for local ISPs.

So, to echo Dave's concerns, it's tough relying on a company like QWest who
only sees fit to play fair when it suits them.  It's akin to a mom and pop
store who has to buy their product from Wal Mart.

-k