[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly WAS: Re:[CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Jan 30 12:40:58 MST 2002

Ed,

Saw this and I think I'l reconsider my analogy some:

Reiser Says MS Settlement Reflects Deep Failure To Understand
Implications of "Patching" Technology

http://linuxpr.com/releases/4445.html

Apple's and oranges are like cars and computers ....

Kevin

Ed Hill wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 17:21, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> >
> > I think my engine analogy is quite appropriate: you can't ran a car
> > WITHOUT an engine, must less run a computer without an OS. It still goes
> > back to the logic: What is REQUIRED to make a car run: engine,
> > transmission, consumables, frame, wheels/tires.  What is NOT required
> > is: body, radio, seats (although this would make it hard to drive ;-) ),
> > windshield, etc. What is REQUIRED to run a computer: an OS, motherboard
> > (plus CPU), RAM, I/O such as PCI/parallel, keyboard, video, and storage
> > (CD, HD) and tools/applications (you have to do something with it). What
> > is NOT required is: modem, network card, sound, printer and probably a
> > host of other things.  And I'm speaking generically, not specifically,
> > because I know someone with more knowledge about hardware could come up
> > with other ideas regarding a computer.  If you take away an engine in a
> > car, how else are you to get it to go?  Horse?  That's an "engine."
> > Gravity? It won't go for long. How do you run a computer?  Embedded?
> > That's an "engine." I can't think of what would make a computer run
> > EXCEPT that it has an OS somewhere.
> >
> > So, Ed, you've made your comment and I've defended myself, please don't
> > take this as a flame or a rant, just a clarification of ideas.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> If you think its a good analogy, thats cool.  No offense taken.
>
> The real point I was trying to get across is that we should all get off
> our *sses and write our comments concerning the microsoft case into the
> Federal Register.  Wining about the "microsoft tax" on this LUG list (or
> any other LUG list) is truly a waste of time.  I think we're all well
> aware of the problems.
>
> What I was hoping to do was convince some of the folks on the list to
> *DO* something useful about these problems.  Go write a letter outlining
> how the microsoft monopoly has hurt your business and what should be
> done to end the the abusive behavior.  Your letters are important.
>
> So did you write one?
>
> Ed
>
> ps - If you want, I'll be more than happy to re-post plenty
>      of background reading (URLs) and the address for your
>      letter or fax.
>
> --
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
> Division of ESE            |  URL:         http://www.eh3.com
> Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
> Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
> GnuPG Key ID:  1E76F123    |  Public key:  http://www.eh3.com/eh3.gpg

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

"Success is never final, failure is never fatal" - Kevin Cullis
---
Kevin Cullis
kcullis at coloradoexcellence.org
303-893-CPEX (2739)