[CLUE-Talk] Legal breaking of the MS monopoly WAS: Re:[CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Wed Jan 30 14:01:52 MST 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

>Ed,
>
>Saw this and I think I'l reconsider my analogy some:
>
>Reiser Says MS Settlement Reflects Deep Failure To Understand
>Implications of "Patching" Technology
>
>http://linuxpr.com/releases/4445.html
>
>Apple's and oranges are like cars and computers ....
>
>Kevin

This begs a new question:
Since the source code itself is not registered with the copyright office
(otherwise it would have to be published) can copyright law actually
protect it?  How can they claim that it is original material, if it is
not published so that claims to the contrary can be made?  The only way
to secure ownership is copyright, and the only way to secure copyright
is to register or publish it.  Since no one has copyrighted this, if I
get a copy, and register it myself, do I then own the Windows monopoly?

Makes you say hmmmmmmm..........