[CLUE-Talk] Qwest Opt Out

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 17:22:15 MST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2002 05:05 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>
> > That's interesting -- how did you request it? I called and asked
> > to be removed, I haven't (yet) received a call.
>
> Check the CLUE-Talk archives for December.  I posted a URL where you can fill
> out an HTML form that will do the opt out.  I did receive the same voice mail
> this morning.
>
> I take it that Qwest received so many complaints that their PR firm decided
> to 'rethink' their decision.  Good news for our personal privacy.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that enough people
complained to get several government agencies involved. As far as I can
tell Qwest doesn't give a rat's ass about whether they have good PR with
the average person since we have no alternative to them for local phone
service or DSL...

> To me this is a positive result when we (consumers) act collectively to
> reject the attempted infringement on our privacy by a faceless corporation.

It's very positive. It seems like every time we turn around some large
corporation is trying to stick it to us one way or another, it's nice
to see a victory now and again.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"If there's going to be any future for us, our first invention
must be a meme-killer. We must destroy in ourselves and in
the people around us the meme proclaiming civilization to be
an unsurpassable invention." -- Daniel Quinn