[CLUE-Talk] [OT] A Call to Action

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Jul 12 15:43:40 MDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:07:15 -0400
Joe Brockmeier <jbrockmeier at earthlink.net> wrote:

<big snip>

Well, www.backwoodshome.org is an interesting read, for various topics
involving self-sufficiency, and independence from the Federal govt.

> > Better Yet:  have many people grow their own small gardens at their
>
> Yeah - but some of us live in apartments... :) Not much gardening area
> here...

Hey, Zonker, at the above website, there are instructions for building a
tipi, and a yurt. Course, you'd still need a patch of ground somplace, um,
and I suppose power and a phone line would be mandatory. ;-)

> > Next: Eat more rabbit!  Grow your own rabbits (The big white ones are
>
> Kill fluffy?? :( It really depends on the hunter, a lot of people end up
> spending more money on gear, beer, travel and having the meat processed
> than they'd spend if they just bought a side of beef from Tony's Meats.

Yeah. Big distinction I notice between, say, my mother, who was raised on
a farm, and someone whose only interaction with live animals is their
pets. (Not pointing at anyone in particular, here.) Did anyone watch that
PBS show about the couples/families who lived in the Montana wilderness
for a while? Livestock is what it is. But you're probably better off, both
economically and nutritionally, spending the same money you would for
animal feed on people-feed (e.g. grains, etc.). Why process the
calories/vitamins/minerals through an animal first? Unless you want the
manure to fertilize your garden.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5