[CLUE-Talk] DVD Playback

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Thu Jul 18 11:52:36 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:42:09AM -0600, Lynn Danielson wrote:

> My co-worker has said excellent things about the ATI Radeon 8500 cards
> and the All-in-Wonder product in particular.  His biggest irritation with
> it was that X-Free doesn't support the accelerated features of the card.
> He purchased the XIG accellerated driver and has been pretty happy with
> it.  The XIG driver isn't cheap; $179 normally, but they list a "special"
> price of $119.  You'll probably be happy with the 64MB version of the
> card, rather than forking out the extra bucks for 128MB.

I have found a site: The GATOS project
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/overview.php

They seem to have drivers that do video playback and TV in XFree86 with
the ATI line.  Looks hopeful.  Knowing that commercial drivers are
available is a nice safety net, as a desktop video card that does not
run under XFree86 is totally worthless to me.

Thanks for the info.

aloha (time to check ebay),
dave