[CLUE-Talk] DVD Playback

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Thu Jul 18 11:42:09 MDT 2002

Dave Price wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:21:18AM -0600, Lynn Danielson wrote:
>
>> I've been told that a good video card is probably the most
 >> important piece of hardware for good dvd video playback.
 >> A coworker of mine raves about the overlayfeature for smooth
 >> video playback.
>
> Any specific recomendations? I hear nvidia's are good; might also
> consider playing with the ATI all-in-woder, if i knew the tv stuff would
> run in a linux only box.  1024x768 with 32-bit color is the max
> resolution I would want to get - the current flat screen can't do better
> than 1024x768, and my eyes could not read it anyway.
>
> I just want speed, linux compatibility, and excellent image quality.

My co-worker has said excellent things about the ATI Radeon 8500 cards
and the All-in-Wonder product in particular.  His biggest irritation with
it was that X-Free doesn't support the accelerated features of the card.
He purchased the XIG accellerated driver and has been pretty happy with
it.  The XIG driver isn't cheap; $179 normally, but they list a "special"
price of $119.  You'll probably be happy with the 64MB version of the
card, rather than forking out the extra bucks for 128MB.

Lynn