[CLUE-Talk] FBI Gets Broad Domestic Spy Powers

Myke Komarnitsky myke at komar.org
Sat Jun 1 16:43:26 MDT 2002

At 08:34 AM 6/1/2002 -0600, Richard Knechtel wrote:
>Historically, they were put in camps to prevent what didn't happen.
>Nothing happened, so obviously it worked.  It was safer to control
>all.  We didn't know who the enemy was then just like we don't know who
>the enemy is now.

This is foolish.  If I put Richard Knechtel in prison, and no one is killed
by Richard Knechtel, then I've done a good thing; I stopped this violent
criminal from breaking the law!  ;-)

Are you really trying to justify that the detention camps for these US
citizens was a wise move?  You do know the US government formally
apologized in '88 to Japanese Americans for those actions, right?

Getting historical and all, some of the Japanese-Americans that weren't in
the camps were in the 442nd infantry regiment in the European
theatre.  Obviously, "something happened".... would we have been better off
as a country if we had left these citizens in their camps?
From: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/100-442in.htm
These Japanese American units suffered an unprecedented casualty rate of
314 percent and received over 18,000 individual decorations. Many were
awarded after their deaths for bravery and courage in the field of battle.
Among the decorations received by the 100th/442nd soldiers were one Medal
of Honor, 52 Distinguished Service Crosses, 560 Silver Stars, 28 Oak Leaf
Clusters to the Silver Star, 4,000 Bronze Stars and 1,200 Oak Leaf Clusters
to the Bronze Star and, perhaps most telling of the sacrifices made by
these gallant soldiers, 9,486 Purple Hearts. The 442nd Combat Infantry
group emerged as the most decorated combat unit of its size in the history
of the United States Army. For its service in eight major campaigns in
Italy and France, the 100th Battalion and 442nd Regimental Combat Team
earned eight Presidential Unit Citations.

President Truman was so moved by their bravery in the field of battle, as
well as that of African American soldiers during World War II, that he
issued an American order to desegregate the Armed Forces.
--

Be very careful with group associations that you make, Richard.  Males
commit 90% of murders in the US.  Is that a group identification that you

Myke

Michael Komarnitsky      Komar Consulting Group
303.818.3718             http://www.komar.biz
http://climbingboulder.com
http://myke.komar.org
-