[CLUE-Talk] Walmart selling mandrake systems

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jun 20 13:01:25 MDT 2002

>Do enough people know what Passport is for it to gain acceptance? I have to
>say that I *still* don't understand what it encompasses, but I guess I've
>really dropped out of any sort of M$ clue-fulness...every time I hear/read
>about .NET, for example, there is this internal voice going,
>"la-la-I-don't-hear-you-la-la" - which could probably hurt me in the long
>run, but I just can't help myself.

Passport:  Centralized authentication.  So....  Whether you go to
Starbucks or Barnes and Noble, whether it is online or in the real
world, there is a single authentication that knows enough about you to
authenticate that you are who you say you are, and that the money comes
out of the right bank account.  (Cracker's translation: honeypot)

.Net:  Web services using SOAP (RPC over HTTP in XML format).  In order
to do this, a common language runtime is in place (like a JVM) with the
distinction that rather than one language into bytecode for any
platform, it is instead any language into one common runtime.  This has
issues, already demonstrated are that this hinders performance (like
JVM) while reducing functionality in languages (because only those
constructs available in the CLR are available in the language).  The
other problem is rather than one language, many platforms (Java) it is
becoming many languages, one platform.  There is a reason people program
in C or assembler, it is bit twiddling and performance (or masochism) so
this negates it.  If I don't care about speed, I write PERL, but at
least it is because the language has specific strengths, and it is still
cross platform.  MS has claimed that they will provide the CLR on other
platforms, the only (even partial) one delivered by them so far is FreeBSD.

So far in the real world:  Lotsa hype, lotsa people who love MS saying
how great it is, no one really using it for anything real....