[CLUE-Talk] FBI Searches Library Records

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jun 25 23:35:33 MDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:09:29 -0600 (MDT)
Randy Arabie <rrarabie at arabie.org> wrote:

> Below is a link to a recent article regarding the expanded powers given
> to the FBI in the "Patriot Act".
<...>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37774-2002Jun24.html
>
> Story about how the FBI can now review library records in its search for
> terrorists.

I'm beginning to think Scott McNealy is a bit too visionary: "You have no
privacy. Get over it."

I don't agree with the "get over it" part, but I think he's right. Even
without the USPA, think about these articles, taken together:

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/24/1814213&mode=nested&tid=158
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,260388,00.html

And I never even thought about the cameras at the ATM. Face recognition,
anyone?

Even Spielberg is worried:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/entertainment/DailyNews/minorityreport020619.html

--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5