[CLUE-Talk] Word document question about file creation and modification info.

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Mar 21 12:48:51 MST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:40:39PM -0700, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> I've got a tricky question (cause I don't use Word), I've got a Word
> document and I see by Star Office under properties menu item that a
> person created the document and another one modified it.  Can Word tell
> me more about who modified it under Word and where do I look?  Can I
> grep the file for this info in Linux?

I'm not sure if grep will work or not, but the 'strings' command might
help, e.g.:

  $ strings elmer_fudd.doc |grep 'Wascally Wabbit'

strings is designed to extract printable strings (of >= 4 characters by
default) from binary files.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to know?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com