[CLUE-Talk] KISS Topic Idea -- Bootloaders

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Mon Mar 25 19:36:50 MST 2002

Hello.

I haven't been around with CLUE for very long, so I don't have much of an
idea what has been done already besides what I gleamed from the presentation
history on the website.  I also don't know how to go about officially
recommending a topic idea.  But I do think that bootloaders might be a good
topic for a KISS session.  One could talk about what a bootloader does, some
hard drive basics, ntloader, lilo, grub (why grub is an improvement on
lilo), etc.  Maybe even throw in a little about XOSL.  It would be
especially informative to new users, which I understand to be the target
audience for the KISS session, given that they probably don't know any of
this stuff and they probably need to be able to boot between their new and
legacy OS's.  Knowing a little more about bootloaders could help us all feel
more comfortable inter-operating between systems.

So what do you guys think?  Somehow I can't believe that I am the first one
to think of this, so forgive me if I deserve a "duh..." and a slap on the
back of the head.

Thanks,

Chris