[CLUE-Talk] A Response to Caldera

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 28 21:25:57 MST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:30:34PM -0700, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:
>
> > > What is it about Utah software companies? They all seem to have huge
> > > chips on their shoulders.
> >
> > Well, if you're talking about Novell, they spawned Caldera in
> > the first place (or some of their former employees, anyway...)
>
> Ah, yes, I thought there was a connection. I guess I'm really thinking
> of what's-his-name -- Ray Noorda? The media probably give a distorted
> view, as they often do, but I've always gotten the impression he was
> really bitter about being screwed over by Microsoft. I'm sure he's got
> a right to be bitter, but it might not be the most constructive reaction.

There's probably a little of both -- he's (justifiably, IMHO) bitter
and the mainstream press likes to focus on any conflict they can
find and play it up.

Yeah, I think Noorda helped fund Caldera back in the day. There were
some connections, though I can't recall exactly what they are. Caldera
has quite the interesting history, really -- they've gone from
being a company with a proprietary desktop (OpenView), to a company
that couldn't decide if they want to Servers/Workstations or embedded
solutions then split into Lineo and Caldera Systems, then decided
to buy a dying proprietary Unix solution. They also had the whole
Wabi thing.

I've been looking over their old press releases -- apparently, Red Hat
should not be trying to compete with Caldera, but it's fair game to
brag about luring companies away from Red Hat and SuSE. They also have
a PDF on their site about why they're better than Red Hat... Man,
I hate PR people sometimes...

> > I'm not sure if I know of any other Utah-based software companies.
> > Are there any other large ones there?
>
> Ha. You got me.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't trying to. :)

Take care,