[CLUE-Talk] CBDTPA update - DOA

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 10:59:09 MST 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Charlie Oriez wrote:

> Wired just broke a story
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51425,00.html
>
> It's dead Jim.  At least for this year.  Thank you notes should go to
> Leahy.  And yes, I do think Leahy can make it stick.

This is Very Good News, but we should keep an eye out. The story
also mentions that something similar will be introduced in the
house.

We also have to keep an eye out for something similar to "bait and
switch." Often legislators propose a bill that is just outright
horrifying (ie, SSSCA/CBDTPA) and push the idea that we "must have"
legislation dealing with whatever issue they're glomming on to.
The first, really, really bad bill gets killed, but more very similar
are introduced until something gets passed.

I doubt that this is over, but we've at least got a little breathing
room. I wonder if the EFF is going to go off "alert" now?

I'm still going to go ahead and contact the Colorado reps next week
and find out their position on the bill and give the info back
on the list.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net