[CLUE-Talk] Intriguing project

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed May 1 02:35:42 MDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:06:43PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> >   Eclipse is a kind of universal tool platform - an open extensible
> >   IDE for anything and nothing in particular.
>
> www.netbeans.org
>
> Same idea - an open source IDE, but already 5 years into implementation.
> What is cool about Netbeans is that anyone can write a plug-in and many have
> already been implemented.

Yes, I'm aware of Netbeans, but Eclipse appears to be broader in scope.
AFAIK Netbeans is a *Java* IDE (in Java and for Java), whereas Eclipse
is more like a cross-language IDE specification, which happens to currently
be implemented in Java.

Actually, I installed NetBeans on my laptop the other day, but it crashes
X on startup; I was considering trying it on my (slower but more stable)
desktop, but ran across Eclipse in the course of looking for something
else. It seemed really cool, and in any case I need something that will
run on both machines if at all possible.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do with it. Once I get this $&#!@*(%) gdk-pixbuf
package to compile.

--
Matt Gushee