[CLUE-Talk] Colorado's No-Call List

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat May 11 10:36:14 MDT 2002

On Friday 10 May 2002 11:03 pm, David Anselmi wrote:

> Seems we are hanging our hopes for a better life on a mighty fine thread.
> Does anyone else think this is nonsense?

Yes, complete and utter.  But isn't that the difference of a compromise --
neither side likes the result?

Compromise is one of the side-effects of a free society.  I am more happy
with this than a total ban on telemarketing, because this would be unfair to
businesses that use it (even though I do not like the business practice).

A ban would set a bad precedence, because soon there would be 'justification'
to ban other types of (unpopular) businesses.  This is just like banning a
unpopular literature or speech.  It's a bad idea because not everyone is
offended.  It's a slippery slope.

> OTOH, if we make the legal morass sticky enough and telemarketing ceases
> (a de facto ban on it) I'm ok with that.  Not sure what the rest of the
> poor saps in the state will do to find new stuff to buy though.  [Goodness
> I'm cynical tonight.]

Although most people do not like telemarketing, businesses continue to do it
because a large enough portion of Americans continue to purchase things from
unsolicited phone calles.  If folks would stop buying stuff, the
telemarketing industry would die on the vine.

Jeff