[CLUE-Talk] Colorado's No-Call List

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat May 11 23:00:03 MDT 2002

* Jeffery Cann (fabian at jefferycann.com) wrote:
> Maybe you can sign-up for the no-call list and then keep track of the calls
> you receive to see if they are actually reduced.

I am interested in this, too.  I signed up.  We get a lot of
telemarketers, I have counted as many as 10 in a day.  I never answer
them, so it is possible that once in awhile those 'unavailable' numbers
on caller-id are not telemarketers, but I suspect that is rare.

I would like to see if it goes down.  The problem is, I suspect
ethicallity is not high on these companies agendas right *now*, and it
seems like *I* have to do a lot of work if *they* break the law (eg,
reporting them, document when, and what happening, hoping the
authorities do something about it).  Thus, I think this is in the end a
no-go.  But I have my fingers crossed.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if the companies adopt this stance:

Unofficial Telemarketer Company Policy:
You call someone in CO, they chew you out because they are on a no-call
list.  It is then your job, telemarketer, to quickly log on to
http://www.coloradonocal.com and remove that number from the database.

The minimum wage cold-caller will be told that if they are caught doing
this, the company didn't tell them to do that.  But OTOH, if they are
caught calling a no-call number, the company is going to fire them
anyway.  This would be very unethical, and illegal, but I bet they can get
away with it.  Once in a while they might get a slap on the hand.  Big
deal.

Well, I guess I should quit being so cynical.

Tim