[CLUE-Talk] FBI Gets Broad Domestic Spy Powers

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu May 30 20:41:09 MDT 2002

The latest in the land grab for your personal rights, thanks to John 'Facist'
Ascroft, et al.,

"In a move aimed at averting another Sept. 11, Attorney General John Ashcroft
freed the FBI to monitor Internet sites, libraries, churches and political
organizations, calling restrictions on domestic surveillance ``a competitive
advantage for terrorists.''"

Whatever.  My gripe about this announcement is the incredible lack of checks
and balances.  What's to stop over zealous FBI field agents from pursing /
harassing / building 'files' on folks considered out of the norm?

I agree with James X. Dempsey, deputy director of the Center for Democracy
and Technology:

"They are using the terrorism crisis as a cover for a wide range of changes,
some of which have nothing to do with terrorism.''

 + http://wire.ap.org/?SLUG=FBI%2dREORGANIZING