[CLUE-Talk] FBI Gets Broad Domestic Spy Powers

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu May 30 23:12:04 MDT 2002

Thus spoke Matt Gushee
> As was pointed out last time somebody got upset about a political topic
> being raised in this milieu, the list charter allows whatever topics are
> of interest to the members. Which I take to mean that you are entitled to
> object to Jeff's raising this issue, but he is equally entitled to raise
> it until there is shown to be a consensus against his doing so.

I stand corrected.  Jeff, feel free to ramble on.

> But what country have you been living in, Mike? After all the revelations
> we've seen over the past couple of years of the FBI's abuses and incompetence,
> I don't see how anyone, even if they are mostly inclined to trust our
> current administration, can say there's no cause for concern.

I know people in the FBI and it's no more incompetent at most levels than
most programmers, bankers, or airline attendants.  Leadership can suck in
many places.  We just choose to pick on the government more than others.
Where was everybody when Enron was screwing up their employees - or did it
not matter because it didn't affect you directly?  Well, it will.  And
everyone will go and blame the govenment for not keeping close watch on
them.  Watch big business, but by all means, don't watch us individuals!
Malarky.

> FWIW, I'm glad Jeff is bringing these issues to our attention.

I try to avoid political rantings.  By all means, then.  You pay attention.
I'm off to unsubscribe from the petty whining this has become.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |     If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.