[CLUE-Talk] FBI Gets Broad Domestic Spy Powers

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu May 30 23:17:48 MDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 20:41:09 -0600
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> The latest in the land grab for your personal rights, thanks to John
> 'Facist' Ascroft, et al.,
>
> "In a move aimed at averting another Sept. 11, Attorney General John
> Ashcroft freed the FBI to monitor Internet sites, libraries, churches
> and political organizations, calling restrictions on domestic
> surveillance ``a competitive advantage for terrorists.''"
>
> Whatever.  My gripe about this announcement is the incredible lack of
> checks and balances.  What's to stop over zealous FBI field agents from
> pursing / harassing / building 'files' on folks considered out of the
> norm?
>
> I agree with James X. Dempsey, deputy director of the Center for
> Democracy and Technology:
>
> "They are using the terrorism crisis as a cover for a wide range of
> changes, some of which have nothing to do with terrorism.''

I wish I didn't have to agree with you, Jeff - and with Mr. Dempsey, and
several others who've made the same point at various times in U.S.
history. Partly, it's an effect of our national consensus that govt. must
_do_ something in response to everything. Yeah, that's not my opinion, nor
many others' either, but it is the desire of a whole lot of vocal people.
And, it's also the opinion of people who crave power.

Remember Carnivore?

I saw an article just recently talking about the next generation of it.

If you've read the article I link to in my sig. then you know part of how
the FBI is now able to do more.

Does it relate to Linux? Well, computer security, online IDs, and digital
privacy would all seem to come under the broad umbrella of things most of
us care about, to varying extents. I hate to sound apocalyptic, but I
don't think it's overkill to say that people need to start paying much
more attention to all of these issues. If the FBI, with its Carnivore and
Magic Lantern, has had its boundaries moved out, then I'd say it's
definitely a topic for Linux users.

jed
--
Got Privacy? http://makeashorterlink.com/?N33052F1

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine