[CLUE-Talk] Red Hat Tour

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Sat Nov 9 11:42:34 MST 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 10:06 am, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Saturday,  9 November 2002 at 10:00:53 -0700, David Willson wrote:
> > Some of us got T-shirt's (because we were pesky), everybody got buttons
> > and a 2-disc distro, one guy actually got a fedora like mine, and those
> > of us that 'chased the bus' got to bend their ears for another few hours
> > while they bought beer and snack-age.  Pretty fun stuph.
>
> Sounds like it was a fun time!  Wish I could have made it.
>
> > Jefferson County's got 120 Red Hat Linux machines!  Wow!  I've only got
> > three... :-(
>
> Yeah.  JeffCo has embraced Linux, and I understand the City of
> Northglenn is try to migrate most of their servers to Linux.

JeffCo has been into Linux for a long time. I used to teach several BHI
classes up there for Java and Linux about 3 years ago. I was impressed with
the manager at that time who offered both Windows and Linux to everybody.
Those who picked Windows would have have to buy all new software and would
not get new hardware. Those who picked Linux could get WP AND new hardware. I
am not sure where they are at now, But it would be nice to see them move to
OpenOffice across all their platforms, instead.
I still have one of their "Linux Rules" mugs.
Too bad that most of the government here in CO is now massively indentured
into MS's back pocket.