LAMP musings (Was Re: [CLUE-Talk] LAMP Fun-da-mentals Instructor?)

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Thu Oct 10 11:19:04 MDT 2002

On 10-09 14:51, David Willson wrote:
> Anyone want to do a Linux Fun-damentals session on web-development on a
> LAMP (Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP)?  I have had a long-standing req for it,
> but I keep forgetting to dig up an instructor...

Anyone else notice how variable this acronym could be? The only real
constant is probably Apache.

If you use any other UNIX, it could be uAMP, pronounced mu-AMP. or BAMP,
for *BSD. SAMP for Solaris, AAMP for AIX,...

If you use Postgres instead of MySQL, it's LAPP.

If you use modperl instead of PHP or "vanilla" Perl, it's LAMM.

Or maybe [LBSA]A[MP][MP] is too complicated to write out?

I guess this shows the choices available to the open source crowd.  If you
use ASP, you have IIS or Chilisoft, and that's about it. :|

For an idea of what LAMP is capable of:
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/oims/index.html

This is a project I helped do over a year ago. I'm surprised it's still
there, since MSN bought ESPN's site, apparently.

This was done w/ FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, modperl and PerlMagick. I did
mostly backend stuff like image manipulation to make scaling and cropping
faster, as well as an admin interface for the client to use. I didn't do any
of the frontend, as I came to the project late, and only was on it for maybe
a month or less. Sadly, these skillsets don't seem to be in very high
demand, at least not in the Denver area.

In any case, check it out while you can, since MSN will probably kill off
any "infections" ASAP.

Cheers,

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
But this has taken us far afield from interface, which is not a bad place to
be, since I particularly want to move ahead to the kludge. Why do people have
so much trouble understanding the kludge? What is a kludge, after all, but not
enough K's, not enough ROM's, not enough RAM's, poor quality interface and too
few bytes to go around? Have I explained yet about the bytes?