[CLUE-Talk] Denver ITEC -- Volunteers?

CLUE President president at clue.denver.co.us
Fri Oct 18 06:52:37 MDT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 03:54 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Jeff, it sounded, at the CLUE meeting, like we're going forward with this.

Yes.

> My question is what level, if any, of organization we have.

Better after this week.  Kaleb Ramsay (ITEC organizer) and I have worked out
the details, which are described below.

Visit the CLUE home page (http://clue.denver.co.us/) and check the links in
the 'News and Notes'.  Kaleb provided a 'personalized' registration page
which is linked in the News & Notes.

Make sure you visit our invitation page and register yourself. It does not
cost money to attend.

The ITEC convention information:

Dates:  10/22 to 10/23
Place:  Colorado Convention Center (downtown)
Times:  10 am to 4 pm (each day)

The CLUE presentation will be at 1:30 pm on 10/23 in the keynote hall and last
for an hour.  I'm not sure where this is at this point.  I'll try to find a
map of the event and post a link to it.

After the keynote talk, we will have the CLUEbie panelists come up to field
questions from the audience for the next hour or so - 2:30 to 3:30 ish.  I
will announce the informal panel / Q&A session during the talk and on the
flyers (below).  I will prepare some questions and links that we should be
ready to answer in addition to links below, which I am using for the talk.

We need 3-5 panelists, including me.  So if you can make it please RSVP.
Here's who I have signed up.  Apologies if you talked to me, but are not on
the list.

Jed Baer
Dave Anselmi
Jeff Cann
Bob Harper

In addition, I plan on producing and distributing some flyers for the talk
that has information about the talk, about CLUE, and the panel / Q &A
session.  I plan on heading down to the Convention Center on Tuesday (10/22)
during lunch to pass out flyers to folks in the booth areas.  If anyone wants
to help with flyer distribution, please let me know directly.

Here's the abstract for the talk:

Tux in a Suit: Linux Means Business
Since 1996, the use of Linux by corporations has grown from a 0% to a 30%
market share for corporate servers. Why are companies switching to Linux?
Should your company switch to Linux? Learn the answers including the history,
rationale for adoption, and uses of Linux for business operations.

> Do we have a collection of resources? Since you were mentioning a sort of
> panel discussion, has anyone collected linux "success stories", figures on
> TCO, uptime, etc?

Jed - You are right on the money with these questions as it coincides with the
abstract and the general audience at ITEC. Here's a set of links that I have
been using to create the presentation:

Oracle and Linux
 + http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/02-nov/o62dba.html

Is Linux Taking over the Enterprise?
 + http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2882420,00.html

A mortal Microsoft
 + http://news.com.com/2100-1001-961291.html

Linux TCO: Less Than Half The Cost of Windows
 + http://cin.earthweb.com/article/1,3555,10493_1477911,00.html

I also have referenced several whitepapers in PDF format.  I can email them
directly to the panelists tonight.

> But what other ammunition could/should we have on hand?

One of the more important things would be to talk about personal success with
Linux.  If you have developed software, or configured servers, whatever.
This hopefully allow the audience to understand that folks in Denver 'do
Linux'.

This weekend, I'll be able to put together a FAQ that I will email directly to
the panelists.

If you find other stories and articles that surround the topic of 'Linux in
business', please post them.

Also, please let me know if you have other questions.  I am excited to promote
Linux and CLUE to the suits and I hope you guys are too!

BTW - I have already been contacted by one Linux vender who will show a booth
at ITEC.  I think we will see some interesting Linux products and a lot of
interest in Linux.

Finally, I will send out a formal invitation to CLUE Announce for the Tux in a
Suit and the Denver ITEC.

Thanks
Jeff

--