[CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Sep 22 20:52:06 MDT 2002

Technically Linux will run on a 386 with 4 mb of RAM.  Realistically,
most distributions won't install on that anymore.  A Pentium 133 or
above is usable, but a bit slow, for the X Window System.  X is the GUI
that is used in Linux, and would be needed for what you are describing.
Star Office or Open Office will inter-operate with MS Office, more or
less.  A PII/Celeron/K6 in the 300 MHz range with 128 MB of RAM is
completely usable.  Look for at least a couple GB of hard disk, the more
the better.  There are many distributions to choose from.  I hear good
things about Mandrake for newbies, but RedHat is the most popular
probably.

You should check out www.linuxdoc.org and read some of the beginner
HOWTOs to get a feel for what you will need to do.  Also, keep your eye
out for an InstallFest, so you could get expert help installing Linux.

Lastly, you might check out http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
if you have access to a CD burner and BIOS that can boot from a CD.  It
is a completely self-contained Linux distribution that boots from you
CD-ROM.  You can get a feel for what it is like, with 0 commitment.

Tim