Bookmark manager? was Re: [CLUE-Talk] would like to try Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Sep 25 13:36:12 MDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:40:09 -0600
"\\_0_/" <psyber at dimensional.com> wrote:

> "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> >
> > Man, my Linux bookmarks are overflowing. Time to convert 'em to a web
> > page, I think. Although the last time I did that, keeping the thing
> > updated became a chore.
> >

> Which begs a question, for me.  I too have hundreds of bookmarks.
> I keep them somewhat organized in folders in netscape's bookmark menu,
> but it's unwieldy.  I can't ever remember exactly where I keep
> something, so when I need to find something, I usually just grep the
> html file. So, my question is, outside of keeping everything in a
> database (good idea, btw) is anyone using or can recommend a bookmark
> management program? Or tips on something you put together yourself to
> organize bookmarks?  And hopefully something integrated with your
> browser, too :)(like web page access yadda yadda yadda...).  I have seen
> some programs for this, but never actually used one.

I can't really speak to Netscape, but Galeon keeps its bookmars in "XBEL"
format, which is XML:

<!DOCTYPE xbel PUBLIC "+//IDN python.org//DTD XML Bookmark Exchange
Language 1.0//EN//XML"
"http://www.python.org/topics/xml/dtds/xbel-1.0.dtd">

I'd guess at it being relatively easy to get from there into a dbms,
although I haven't tried yet. The browser integration would be a different
issue, I'd suppose. In the past, I've just dumped bookmarks into topical
HTML files, and load them up in the browser -- fine for accessing them,
but a pain for updates. What surprises me about bookmark managers is that
no browser I know of (except for IE, which, last I checked, stored each
bookmark as a file in a folder on disk) has a two-pane view for managing
them. I'd like to see folders on the left, and bookmarks on the right,
which would be so much easier than the existing drag-drop in a single
widget.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5