[CLUE-Talk] dinner meeting of possible interest, other DMCA discussion

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 15 17:07:24 MDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:29:33 -0600
Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

> Another interesting DMCA fight is brewing right now in Georgia, although
>
> the case seems to be argued on non DMCA grounds.  It deals with the
> revelation of serious security holes in Blackboard, an attempt by
> security experts to discuss them at the Interz0ne conference, and
> Blackboard's attempt to suppress the information.
>
> Details of the security holes are here:
> http://tinyurl.com/9m2f
>
> You may want to grab a copy before the google cache gets overwritten
>
> Discussion of the lawsuit is here: http://politechbot.com/
>
> On the NCIC issue, a good discussion by EPIC is here
> http://www.politechbot.com/p-04613.html and here http://epic.org/  There
> is a link on the EPIC page to signing the petition urging the feds to
> insist on accurate information on the NCIC

IIRC (from the politechbot mailing list), the orignal legal notice (a
cease and desist letter?) mentioned the DMCA.

Also, this month's Cryptogram http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html
mentions the practical arguments (% false positives vs. % false negatives)
against the loosening of accuarcy requirements for the NCIC (National
Criminal Information Center) database.

BTW The Cryptogram newsletter is always worthwhile. For those who don't
want to subscribe, you can always read it at LWN:
http://lwn.net/Articles/28842/ (this month's)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl