[CLUE-Talk] dinner meeting of possible interest, other DMCA discussion

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Apr 15 18:08:55 MDT 2003

At 05:07 PM 4/15/2003 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:

>IIRC (from the politechbot mailing list), the orignal legal notice (a
>cease and desist letter?) mentioned the DMCA.

true.  The C&D mentioned it, but the complaint did not.  One question is
whether they are free to amend the complaint at a later date.  There was
also some discussion on slashdot that perhaps the DMCA would have been
politically an uncomfortable fit for them, given their customer base of
schools and universities.  If they were confident of a win without it,
there may have been a policy decision to avoid the political hot potato.

>Also, this month's Cryptogram http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html
>mentions the practical arguments (% false positives vs. % false negatives)
>against the loosening of accuarcy requirements for the NCIC (National
>Criminal Information Center) database.

I think I'll print some copies for Thursday's meeting. I have alot of
respect for Schneier

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi.  Unfortunately,
they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming."
   -- Simon Slavin in asr