[CLUE-Talk] Oh No! Not Again! (spam spam spam spam ...)

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Apr 16 17:45:02 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 01:45 pm, David Willson wrote:
> I disagree with our apparent attitude toward business-people that
> prospect among us.

I disagree, Dave.  The spirit of GPL and Open Source is not a tit-for-tat
exchange of knowledge for business opportunities, i.e., I volunteer at my
LUG, so I should be able to solicit business from the other members.
Rather, it is a shared responsibilty.  I help you and you help me.  We
protect each other's interests at the cost of our time, not from our wallets.

> We use their time and talent, so it is an appropriate return that they
> should regard us a business prospects.

In fact, we have a sponsor policy specifically against your suggestion that it
is OK to use CLUE as a marketing or business prospect group.  IBM fell under
the 'Vendor Tables' portion of this policy (#2).  It does not state whether
it is OK to collect member emails without giving a clear explanation (i.e.,
an opt-in statement).   Perhaps we should amend it.

Please read it:

 + http://clue.denver.co.us/vendorPolicies.html

The reason we have this policy stems from the original formation of CLUE, by a
Linux vendor who felt the need to opt-in the entire CLUE membership for his
personal marketing group -- repeatedly and without permission.  This angered
many CLUEbies, not unlike the current IBM flap.  After this person left the
group, we decided to do something to prevent such ill will.  I can see from
the anger in this thread that our policy is still on the right side of the
fence because it protects personal privacy of the CLUEbies.  Further, we will
certainly be careful about clarifying any future vendor sign-up sheets with
the vendors.

We appreciate any sponsorship from businesses.  We are not anti-sponsorship or
anti-business.  However, we would prefer to keep CLUE from becoming just
another UG that is driven by a vendor or overwhelmed with corporate
sponsorship.  I have had numerous members tell me that the reason they like
and attend CLUE meetings is because we are different from most other UGs - we
are not vendor or business centric.  Think of CLUE as PBS -- educational and
mostly free except for those rare folks who can give more than their time.

If CLUEbies want to cull business opportunities, I suggest that they also join
their local Rotary Club.  It's more appropriate and more effective than CLUE.

I am sorry that folks did not contact me rather than flaming Maureen.  In fhe
future, I would hope that CLUEbies would bring their grievances to me (or
another admin) directly, rather taking matters into their own hands.  You'd
be surprise how persuasive we are...

Later,
Jeff

--