[CLUE-Talk] Re: [CLUE-Announce] April CLUE DTC Meeting

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Apr 16 23:33:34 MDT 2003

On Friday 04 April 2003 11:55 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Will she be explaining why it takes swriter 36 seconds to open a 1 page
> OpenOffice doc on a lightly loaded Athlon750 with 256MB RAM?

Jed,

Solveig suggested that you upgrade to Open Office 1.0.2.  I installed Red Hat
9.0 on to my laptop this week.  It's a P3/750 with 384 MB of RAM.  It is
*way* faster than Open Office 1.0 or Star Office 6.0.  It starts up in about
5 seconds, documents load much faster and screen repaints are great.

I also actually like the RHAT 9.0 setup of the Open Office suite.  The
selected a good-looking font (under Bluecurve), which was my main bitch
against Open Office.

Anyway, try out 1.0.2 - seems to have been tuned for performance.

Jeff

--
Life is a tie. In the end, no one wins.
 -- Oswald Neimo