[CLUE-Talk] OpenOffice as Molasses (was ... April CLUE DTC Meeting)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Apr 17 00:21:01 MDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:33:34 -0600
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> On Friday 04 April 2003 11:55 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> > Will she be explaining why it takes swriter 36 seconds to open a 1
> > page OpenOffice doc on a lightly loaded Athlon750 with 256MB RAM?
>
> Jed,
>
> Solveig suggested that you upgrade to Open Office 1.0.2.  I installed
> Red Hat 9.0 on to my laptop this week.  It's a P3/750 with 384 MB of
> RAM.  It is *way* faster than Open Office 1.0 or Star Office 6.0.  It
> starts up in about 5 seconds, documents load much faster and screen
> repaints are great.
>
> I also actually like the RHAT 9.0 setup of the Open Office suite.  The
> selected a good-looking font (under Bluecurve), which was my main bitch
> against Open Office.
>
> Anyway, try out 1.0.2 - seems to have been tuned for performance.

Uh, isn't 1.0.3 out already? I've been meaning to remember to dl the
latest, when I'm over at a friend's with a cable modem.

I wonder if RH just used that lame-o "font substitution" method of
changing OO's fonts, or if there's some undocumented location where you
can just specify which one to use for what. I'd like to find it, coz I'd
like to specify a larger size, as well as a different face. I did see a
post on the OO mailing list pointing out the
$OO_HOME/help/{language}/custom.css file, where you can do some tweaks to
the help system. You'd think there'd be a config file somplace where I
could specify stuff, like in .Xresources, for tweaking. I'd like to be
able to get away from the standard (boring) grey/white/blue/black color
scheme. Oh BTW, the "magnification" preference doesn't quite cut it --
it's too general.

Speaking of OO, didja see this http://www.softmaker.de/index,en.htm on,
uh, I think it was NewsForge. It's commercial, but the beta is free.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl