[CLUE-Talk] OpenOffice as Molasses - Not quite Enterprise Ready

rknech at pcisys.net rknech at pcisys.net
Thu Apr 17 07:35:45 MDT 2003

I and another person at work downloaded and installed OpenOffice 1.03 to
run it through it's paces.

Here is the opionion.

If you want to use it for importing your old word 2000 documents or spread
sheets that are plain jane vanilla - meaning no fancy formatting, no tables
etc.. it is fine.  And if you want to use for creating new documents,
spreadsheets etc..  But it is HORRID in converting word 2000 documents that
have fancy formating like tables and embeded tables. OR have fancy
formatting in your spread sheets.

We have (our group) has been converting to Open Source and free software
for everything we can.  But in this case we can't use the majority of our
old word 2000 design documents or spreadsheets or the templates in Open
Office nor Star Office becuase they do not handle much of the "fancy
formatting" that Word/excel 2000 does.  Unfortunatly for now we are stuck
with M$ Office 2000 because to much of our documents are not "reusable"
without MAJOR reformatting in OO or SO.

I had sent emails to people within the OO developemnt staff with sample of
some of the documents we have, but you know, two of the emails bounced, an
another never responded.  I know they are probably busy people so I can't
totally fault them for not responding to me.

But we can't with a good consious recomend to upper management that we dump
M$ office for OO or SO, because 95% of our documents are not "import"
compatable.

On a Side note:
We have mostly gone from using JBuilder to using
Gel(http://www.gexperts.com/) - Awsome FREE Java/JSP/HTML/Javascript IDE
and using HTMlKit (http://www.chami.com/html-kit/) - awsome free
HTML/Javascript/ASP/CSS - you name it editor.  Although not open source
products they rock!  I havne't found any other open source products that
are as nice.  I tried JEdit, but it is too much of a resource hog!  We run
on windows 2000 boxes and develop for ATG's Dynamo (Java/JHTML (a hack of
JSP)).