Gel (was Re: [CLUE-Talk] OpenOffice as Molasses - Not quite...)

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Apr 23 17:57:11 MDT 2003

On 04-17 13:35, rknech at pcisys.net wrote:
> But we can't with a good consious recomend to upper management that we dump
> M$ office for OO or SO, because 95% of our documents are not "import"
> compatable.
>
> On a Side note:
> We have mostly gone from using JBuilder to using
> Gel(http://www.gexperts.com/) - Awsome FREE Java/JSP/HTML/Javascript IDE
> and using HTMlKit (http://www.chami.com/html-kit/) - awsome free
> HTML/Javascript/ASP/CSS - you name it editor.  Although not open source
> products they rock!  I havne't found any other open source products that
> are as nice.  I tried JEdit, but it is too much of a resource hog!  We run
> on windows 2000 boxes and develop for ATG's Dynamo (Java/JHTML (a hack of
> JSP)).

Hi, I thought I'd give Gel a shot since I want to ditch JBuilder, too, and
JEdit and Eclipse can be a bit hoggish. I am running a lot on my box at
work, and only have 512M...and I find myself over that with the piggy IDEs.

One question: what compiler do you use? I find that jikes wasn't working -
it wanted something in it's classpath, but I'm not sure what. Once I went
back to javac, it compiled. But javac is dog slow.

Also, how do you get the output from the compiler? I didn't see any
integration with Ant, either, but maybe I'm missing that...

I ask you since the website doesn't seem to have a user mailing list, and
the online help and forums are unwieldy, IMHO.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/