[CLUE-Talk] Weird PHP4 + Stronghold-3 problem

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu Apr 17 21:56:46 MDT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 09:40 pm, Kirk Rafferty wrote:

> Any ideas would be appreciated.

At the risk of suggesting something you already know, perhaps the version of
php you compiled is broken with regard to stronghold?  Maybe you can try a
previous release, but later than your old version that works?

A good way to diagnose the problem is to snoop your network interface on your
webserver.    You can use Ethereal (www.ethereal.com).  You can set it to
only record traffic from the IP of your client (web browser).  Then you can
use the GUI to help you look at the TCP/IP packets.  Ethereal 'knows' many
protocols, like HTTP (layer 7 in the TCP/IP stack).  This may reveal some
other problem, perhaps unrelated to php.

I recently used it to solve a problem we found in some of our NSAPI shared
object libraries (essential the iPlanet equivalent of an Apache module).  It
turns out that the data portion of HTTP POST was being split into two TCP/IP
packets by any proxy server.  The NSAPI objects were not forwarding the
second packet to the CGI.

Jeff
--
Life is a tie. In the end, no one wins.