[CLUE-Talk] New project, request for input

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Sun Apr 20 18:49:50 MDT 2003

Hey all,

A few weeks ago, I spent about six hours fiddling with X config files to
get an unusual setup to work properly. (Three monitors)

Anyone who has struggled with X knows that the documentation for the
XFree86 config files could be better. Examples of oddball setups would
be particularly helpful.

So, long story short, I'm trying to start a repository of XF86Config
files that people could refer to for their own machine. I'm specifically
looking for submissions of XF86Config(-4) files that are annotated, that
is -- have comments explaining the oddball sections of the file.

I'm sure I'm not the only cluebie who has experienced difficulty in
setting up X on occasion -- though it gets easier and easier with time
and improvements in Linux tools, there are still going to be oddball
setups that aren't going to work with XFree86's native tools or the ones
that come with Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, et al.

So, I'd like to ask Cluebies to submit XF86Config files for troublesome
setups with the following information:

Version of XFree86
Video Card name, model, manufacturer, etc.
Monitor name, model, manufacturer, refresh rates, etc.
Brand & model of mouse, if that was a source of trouble.
Brand & model of keyboard, if that was a source of trouble.
Brand & model of other input devices (Wacom tablet, etc.)
Annotations with troublesome areas of the config file.
Other relevant notes.
An e-mail address (that will be obfuscated on the main site) where
people with similar or identical setups can reach you for questions.
(Optional)

I think this could be useful for users of X on all platforms -- and very
helpful in promoting Linux when someone is new to Linux and has to
hand-hack the XF86Config file.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be "announcing" this in my April "Open Road" column on
UnixReview.com -- I'd love to have several config files to start with in
addition to the ones I'm contributing. I'll be hosting the repository on
my site and hope it will grow to be widely useful over time.

Thanks,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier