[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Apr 21 19:57:05 MDT 2003

On 04-21 17:01, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I'll try to keep this short since I do not want to sound rude or
> unpleasant.  I disagree with the basic thrust of what you said about
> Linux, but I was wrong about this list.  I was wrong to give the
> impression that "we should only talk about Linux" because clearly the
> list states that it is not a Linux-only list.  I was just taken back by
> recently joining the list and being hit with that.
>
> However, I disagree that the Iraq politics has any place in the Linux
> world, and in fact should be kept out.  The reason is because I find
> that this is a no-win subject that just creates arguments.  And maybe it
> doesn't make a big difference to us in the western world, but think of
> it this way:  Open Source is about people working together and being
> accepted--that no one should be turned down from working, contributing,
> or being a member of the community based on their background or
> political ideology.  I think we (potentially) alienate people by
> including non-technological politics into Linux (to our detriment).

And I'm sure that was the impetus for having a clear delineation in the
(main) CLUE lists.

I think Zonker did a fine job of summing up why politics matters...and why
it'd be futile to try to split Linux from politics. The bonus is that the
discussion here doesn't devolve into the "you're stupid", "no, YOU'RE
stupid" type of argument.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/