[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Apr 21 23:23:43 MDT 2003

On Monday 21 April 2003 10:17 pm, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Good God, Jeff, why do you want us to believe the Bush administration?

I simply want the truth to come out.  I think the truth is that the Bush
adminstration's arguments for the Iraq war were exaggerated to the point of
being outright lies.  The only way I will change my mind is if WMD are found
in Iraq.  Then, the administration will gain a modicum of credibility to me.

> I suppose an argument could be made that having a credible US
> administration would improve our relations with other countries.

This is where I was coming from - it's much easier to talk to other
governments about peace when yours actually lives by to the principle.

Unfortunately, I think the 'hawks' in the administration have been emboldened
by the easy military success in Iraq.  I think they will attack another
country.  I hope not, though.  I also hope that if no WMD are found their
credibility will be shot and the citizens of this country will see reality.

> You've made me curious, though: do you sincerely believe that our
> government has ever had substantive evidence of banned weapons in Iraq?

Hell no.  But I until a 'liberated' Iraq has been thoroughly examined, I am
trying to remain objective.  It's not easy, but all of the facts are not in
yet.  I think there is a small but measurable chance (less than 5%) they will
find something of significance.

Jeff
--
Life is a tie. In the end, no one wins.