[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Apr 22 07:57:11 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 07:22, Don Collier wrote:
> Does not matter whether you clain him or not.  Does not matter whether you
> voted for him or not.  He is the President of our Country.  It completely
> amazes me how much wining and crying goes on when something dosent happen
> exactly the way you liberals want it to.

Has nothing to do with my party affiliation. I don't believe he was
legitimately elected -- if the same scenario had played out with a
Democratic candidate, I'd feel the same way.

If it doesn't matter whether I claim him or not, why do you get so upset
by the fact that I don't?

And, truth be told, I'm not a liberal, Don -- my political beliefs don't
fall easily into that category or any other. I oppose the war, yes. I
also support the death penalty. I support the right to own and carry
guns, within reason.

> More than 70% of the country supports this war.  Why cant you be a SILENT
> minority.

Way to be patriotic, Don. "You have freedom of speech, just please don't
use it."

Speaking of whining, Don -- why does it bother you so when someone
expresses a view that's contrary to yours? I'm not telling you to shut
up -- I'll argue with you, I'll correct you if I see something that I
think is wrong, I'll agree with you if I think you're right about
something, and I'll certainly stand up for your right to voice your
opinion, even though I may not agree with it. But I'm certainly not
asking you to shut up.

I tend to disagree with just about everything that Randy, for example,
has to say about this situation -- but I at least appreciate the fact
that he argues with me rather than saying "be silent." I can respect
that -- I can't respect someone who can't tolerate so much as hearing an
opinion they don't agree with.

Also, majority opinion isn't an indicator of right and wrong -- it's
simply an indicator of popular opinion, and that's highly volatile. If
popular opinion suddenly swung the other way, would that be an
indication that your opinion is suddenly wrong and I'm right? Would you
decide that, since the majority was against you, you should just keep
your mouth shut? Something tells me the answer is "no." In fact, I hope
the answer is "no" because it doesn't speak well of your conviction in
your beliefs if you're unwilling to stand up for them when they're
unpopular as well as when they're popular.

It occurs to me that the time when it's most crucial for someone to
voice their opinion is when they're in the minority - not the majority.
Otherwise, how would anything ever change?

There was a time when 70 percent of the population believed in
segregated schools and that women shouldn't have the right to vote. I
suppose that people should have kept their mouths shut and then things
would somehow have magically changed for the better anyway? Somehow I
doubt it.

I don't care if you or 70, 80 or 90 percent of the population disagree
with my opinion -- if I feel strongly about something, I'm going to
speak out on it. If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to
disagree -- but I'm not going to remain silent so that you can imagine
that no one disagrees with you.

Zonker