[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Tue Apr 22 15:47:35 MDT 2003

Let us now point out that the same freedom that protects your right to
call President Bush an SOB (Matt Gushee), a little twit (Bill Ehlert),
or ~not~ my President (Joe Brockmeier), protects my right to say "Oh,
shut up!"
Now, here's a funny thing:  Every time I, or some like-minded other,
says 'shut up', someone accuses me of attacking his right to free speech
(which is really a government-endorsed privilege, not a right, but
that's another argument).
How is it that telling someone that is filling the channel with noise to
shut up is a bad thing?  Consider that, I can't actually ~make~ anyone
shut up, and I wouldn't if I could, because that ~would~ be a violation
of their so-called 'right' to free speech.
Isn't noise noise, and hasn't noise been pretty universally accepted as
a bad thing?  Isn't it appropriate then to identify it, and say, "Boost
the signal.  Cut the noise.  Increase the value of the channel for all
those subscribed thereto."  In short, "Hey you.  Shut up."

:-)