[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 22 22:16:21 MDT 2003

On 04-22 21:12, Chris Terry wrote:
> *mega-snip*
>
> Sean LeBlanc wrote...
> >I cannot help but think that no matter what a Republican president does, it
> >will be lambasted by some members of the left...take, for example, folks
> >that think this economy is somehow the fault of the Bush administration -
> >they complain that they brought us the "Bush economy" (in the face of all
> >evidence to the contrary - for example, anyone paying attention knows that
> >the stock market started a slide in early 2000) and THEN turn around and
> >whine* about proposed boosts to the economy like tax cuts.
> >

> Good point on the first one.  I'd have to agree that if a Republican is
> in office, those on the left will bash him, but you forgot to add the
> part about guys on the right beating up Democratic presidents.  There's
> always going to be someone complaining about those in power.  I don't
> really mind it, except from people who don't vote or otherwise
> participate.  Voters are at least trying to fix things they see wrong.

Yes, and that's why I had that footnote in there.  :)

> And the economics:
> Yes, the slide started with Clinton, but I haven't seen it pick up
> enough to be able to praise Bush with fixing the problem.  And that
> brings up another good point.  I'm not the most informed on economic
> history, so could you point me to an instance where tax cuts and other
> generally republican economic plans have fixed (or at least started to
> reverse) a downturn/depression like this one?

Well, let me say that there is plenty of data to suggest supply-side does
work, and that, as Randy mentioned, can give the gov't more revenue. What is
most interesting is that when an administration (forget which one; too tired
to Google for it) wanted to slow down an overheated economy, they raised
taxes. Kind of makes you wonder what lowering them does, eh?

But barring tax cuts or tax hikes, I wonder if a prez has more impact on the
tides than he/she can have on the economy, besides just getting in the way.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/