[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Wed Apr 23 05:57:43 MDT 2003

On Tuesday, 22 April 2003 at 22:16:21 -0600, Sean LeBlanc
<seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:

> But barring tax cuts or tax hikes, I wonder if a prez has more impact on the
> tides than he/she can have on the economy, besides just getting in the way.

Bingo!  Taxes are for raising money for the government.  Government
needs money to do the things it is supposed to do, and all the extra day
things that present day Americans *think* it should do.

I guess one of those things present day Americans *think* the government
should do is control the economy.  I don't.  Perhaps the government and
the Fed can tweak things, smooth out the peaks and valleys.  While I do
subscribe to supply side economic theory, I don't subscribe to the "tax
cuts to jump-start the economy" plan of the day.  Taxes are not economic
jumper cables.

If tax cuts will increase tax revenue, good.  Cut taxes, increase tax
revenue, control (or cut) spending and balance the budget.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/