[CLUE-Talk] Ceasefire, anyone?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Apr 23 00:41:39 MDT 2003

Since I played a large part in touching off this most recent rhetorical
battle (I seem to be good at that), let me be the first to suggest
wrapping it up. I think I've said enough ... maybe more than enough. And
if everybody really wants to continue, don't let me stop you. But I've
noticed that, for the most part, nobody's mind gets changed by these
discussions.

You know, back when I was in college I used to really believe in the
power of rational debate ... or did I? To be honest, I'm not sure what I
really believed. But if I didn't believe in it, I certainly found it an
enjoyable pastime. Used to spend hours writing eloquent
letters-to-the-editor--and they were good ones, too: one of them got a
state legislator to write to *me*--now how often does that happen?

But after a while I began to notice that people who agreed with me
really liked my letters; those who disagreed still disagreed; and I
suppose those who didn't care either way just went on not caring. Sorry
to be so cynical, but if I can't change anyone's mind, I'd rather spend
my time on something else. Except that once in a while I can't help
myself.

So anyway, back to my corner again.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through