[CLUE-Talk] Iraq Stuph

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Wed Apr 23 06:26:33 MDT 2003

> * Dennis J Perkins (djperkins at americanisp.net) wrote:
> > The war was the easy part.  The hard part will be setting a government
> > that does what we want.  The politicians talk about setting up a
> > democracy but
> > when the people don't know what one is, how long will we stay to teach
> > them?  Will the Iraqis still be so happy to see there in two years?
> > Will we be asking ourselves why we are there?  Bush's wanting to keep
> > the UN out won't look good either.
>
> This sentiment, while seemingly innocent, is what scares the rest of the
> world.
>
> "The hard part will be setting a government that does what we
> want."
>
> While I understand your sentiment, and even agree with it somewhat
> (we do want at least mostly friendly government there, don't we?), it
> could be terrifying to nations that have no ability to oppose us (which
> is just about everybody, it seems these days.) We invaded a sovereign
> nation (albeit a really nasty one) to put a new nation in its place
> that "will do what we want." That is what most foreign nations see,
> particularly Arabs. Add to this that our case for war was not strongly
> made, in most non-Americans eyes, and that we invaded without any
> blessing of the UN, NATO, etc., and we start to look like an 'empire'
> to others, even if we don't rule our 'colonies' directly. If enough
> people *think* we are an empire, it becomes irrelevant whether or not we
> actually are. Our neighbors will treat us as one.
>
> And in the long term, I think this may cause more trouble than good.
> Hopefully I am wrong.
>
> Tim
> --

I'm not a fan of this administration and I was being sarcastic.  We are
following in Britain's footsteps in its old imperial policy of replacing
troublesome, local leaders with friendlier ones.  I suspect that this was
standard policy for any empire.

I do have foreign friends who say that at times our govt seems to bully their
govts.  (For that matter, it sometimes bullies our states as well.)  I think
it's hard for most Americans to accept that other countries don't necessarily
view the world the way we do.