[CLUE-Talk] Anyone heard about this? Free Mike Hawash

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Aug 7 15:35:40 MDT 2003

Instapundit,

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1043672261
> > 147451.xml
> >
> > There's a lot of detailed allegations there that *should* have a
> > substantial paper trial backing them up.  Seems if these were
> > just "cooked up" it wouldn't be all that hard for someone to
dispute.
> > --
> > Allons Rouler!
> >
> > Randy
>
> Well, as much as this is likely the case, I am still horrified at the
way Mike was held for 5 weeks as a "Material Witness".
> He was pretty clearly not ever considered a material witness.    That
was just a sneaky way around the Fifth Amendment.

> There are plenty of other people being held this way right now, some
have been held as long as 15 months without charges being brought
against them.

> I can't understand why we are tolerating this from our government.
The Constitution is being treated like a dirty rag in the name of
protectionism.

> Anyone who is tempted to ignore the violation of our basic liberties
to feel safe should really go rent "The Siege" and reconsider that
thought

> Some of the people the government detains this way are a threat.
Many aren’t.     The biggest threat however is that we will give away
our freedoms to feel safe.    That sense of safety makes everyone live
in fear however.    Fear of the state and fear of one another.

> -Alex

Alex,

I tend to agree with what you've said.  WRT the Patriot Act
and all the new laws associated with Homeland Security, we
have certainly seen a erosion of civil liberties.

I don't know if holding Hawash for 5-weeks as a material
witness was wrong.  Certainly denying him access to an
attorney for those 5-weeks is, IMO.

We, US Citizens, should not tolerate the such injustices.
I've let my representatives know my feelings on such issues.

As Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential
Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve
neither Liberty nor Safety."
--

Allons Rouler!

Randy