[CLUE-Talk] Something to think about

Alex Young ayoung at email.com
Thu Aug 7 17:24:28 MDT 2003

Richard,

I don't think that the IBM patents are that significant to the rest of the unix vendors.    Most large OS companies hold a lot of conflicting patents they never enforce.

One common stratigie is to threaten cross-suit if a company says it plans to enforce a pattent for a technology in existing software.

It really gets down to a basic misuse of patents in industry.   The number of frivolous patents is huge, and prior art is almost never looked into before a patent is issued.

In short, I think as long as the other unix's play fair they will be safe from IBM, and rightly so.     However, if there was a huge IP war started, say by Microsoft asserting that there is violating technology in Linux, I think the system will have to admit that software and business practice patents don't mean a lot anymore, scrap them and start with a clean slate.

Just my two cents,

Alex